Departing: The Face of the Sun

by Jessica on August 26, 2011

It’s Texas.  It’s Summer. It’s Hot!  It may seem as though I am stating the accepted obvious, but this year has taken hotter than the face of the sun to a new level.   We have had over 40 days of consecutive temperatures over 100, and it looks as if we may break the record of the most days over 100 in any given year.  Normally, Texas will take any reason to swagger, but it’s just too hot for swaggering.   So, I’m counting the days until cooler weather comes and while I count, I’m dreaming of being somewhere, anywhere that is cooler than here.

Carriage Ride Quebec Winter Carninvale

If memory serves, the wind chill was -17 degrees in this picture.  Yep, sounds like heaven.   But even if I were to go to Quebec right now, I would find the temperature to be 45 cooler than it is in Texas.  Plus, it’s raining.  Bonus points.

Gates of the Palace of Versailles, wind knocking off feetBlowing our way past the Palace of Versailles

See that wind that is blowing so fiercely that it is knocking us off our feet?   Oooh, I bet that’s cold. Delightful.  Plus, it’s Versailles. I’d go there in the summer.

View from the balcony of the Marriott Ilihana Resort

Ahhh, the islands of Hawaii.  Cool tropical breeze.  Gentle, warm sun.  Stay out all day and never break a sweat.  I’m moving immediately.  Yes, I realize that a gallon of milk costs $7 a gallon.  Don’t ruin my illusions.  I can clip coupons.

Cave of the Mounds~Blue Mounds, Wisconsin

Did you know that underground caves stay at a temperature consistent with the average outdoor temperature?  Despite the hotter than Hades summer temperatures, the average temperature  in Texas is 77 degrees.  Find me a bone for my hair; we’re becoming cave people.

ICE at the Gaylord Texan

It’s 7 degrees inside this winter wonderland.  Somebody stop me before I strip down to my unmentionables and start licking the sculptures.

fdsa

{ 10 comments }

Becca@R We There Yet Mom? August 26, 2011 at 2:02 pm

AHHHHH- As a fellow Texan, I LOVED THIS POST!!!

Thanks for linking up!

~Becca

Impulsive Addict August 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Well, since we’re neighbors, I’m LOVING the cool-weather pics. I LOVE summertime but I’m about done with it. I need fall to happen asap. I would really like to see ICE at the Gaylord this year.

Lisa August 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I’ll send you some cool Canadian air today if you’ll promise to send some heat this way about the middle of January! :)

walkingontravels August 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Lady if you want to move to hawaii, I would split the rent on a shack with you and clip coupons while we soak up the sun. I’ll scout out a few places in November for us 😉

Mama Spaghetti August 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I am so with you! I am dreaming of snowmen and the smell of sugar cookies baking.

Emily August 27, 2011 at 5:12 am

I had to laugh when I saw that milk is $7 a gallon in Hawaii, I pay $6 on Cape Cod and it isn’t nearly as beautiful here!

Best,
Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

Amy August 27, 2011 at 11:52 am

OMG……that is HOT! ISH….how miserable!
I’m from MN and it has been a very HOT July here, but now we’ve been cooling down. Around 80 degrees everyday. Very Nice.
I’m a new follower.
Amy’s Life

I also linked up on Friday Daydreamin’

DWei August 28, 2011 at 3:31 am

Those caves look so cool. Love to see them one day.

Barbara August 29, 2011 at 4:50 am

Feel free to come visit us in France, we had one week of heat and are back down to cool weather that requires a cardigan in the morning and in the evenings!

Tracy August 29, 2011 at 10:19 am

What a nice way to chronicle your family’s travels! 1. We’ve gone on a couple cave tours…but have not been to that one in WI…well have to look it up. 2. We are contemplating going back to Hawaii for our 10th anniversay…question is…bring our 5 and 3 year old or not?! 3. I love the Gaylord hotels. We’ve been to DC, FL, and my favorite Gaylord, TN…we haven’t been to the one iin TX though. Thanks for joining my blog hop at http://www.mama-press.com. I’m your newest follower.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: